Closer to 4-5 months of pregnancy, the grown tummy`s size is already such that it gives the woman some inconvenience. Especially they appear before going to sleep when the future mother tries to take the most comfortable and desirable position. But in this beautiful time, a strong and lasting sleep is as important as ever.
But there is still a way out – to use an unusual assistant that can facilitate this process. That is why it is of importance to understand how a pregnant woman should choose the pillow, what sizes, shapes, and fillers exist for these products and how useful they may be for expectant mothers.
Table of Contents
- 1 Advantages Of The Pillows For Pregnancies
- 2 The Main Varieties
- 3 What Should Be Considered While Choosing The Pregnancy Pillow?
- 4 The Best Pregnancy Pillows – TOP 10 Most-Rated
- 4.1 #1 The Best C-shaped Pregnancy Pillow: Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow
- 4.2 #2 The Best U-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow: Queen Rose Full Pregnancy Body Pillow
- 4.3 #3 The Best Wedge-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow: Hiccapop Pregnancy Pillow
- 4.4 #4 The Best Oblong-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow: Boppy Side Sleeper Pregnancy Pillow
- 4.5 #5 The Best Contoured Pregnancy Pillow: Leachco Back N Belly Contoured Pregnancy Pillow
- 4.6 #6 The Best Down-Filled Pregnancy Pillow: Moonlight Slumber Comfort
- 4.7 #7 The Best Lightweight Pregnancy Pillow: Meiz U Shaped Total Body Support Pillow
- 4.8 #8 The Best Oversize Pregnancy Pillow: Naomi Home Cozy Body Pillow
- 4.9 #9 Cozy Bump Maternity Pillow – Lie on Your Stomach
Advantages Of The Pillows For Pregnancies
A pillow chosen by pregnant women is not just a feminine whim. Experts are convinced that during the period when a woman is pregnant it is necessary to use a pillow specially designed for future mothers. Here are its main advantages:
- Allows a pregnant woman to find a comfortable position for sleeping, resting, reading, watching TV, eating.
- Reduces the burden on the body of the future mother, which is especially important from the 2nd trimester, when the stomach is markedly rounded. The pillow can be the support for the waist, rounded sides or tired legs.
- You can put such a pillow under your stomach, and you will not feel any inconvenience, as in the case of the usual models.
- Its use will reduce the burden on the spine, as it will be distributed evenly.
- Even after the birth of the baby, it will come in handy: you can rely on it when feeding or make a kind of playpen for the child from the pillow so that he does not fall off the bed.
If you find out you are pregnant, be sure to get yourself a similar device. The cushion does provide support to the back and stomach, prevents the slightest damage to it during sleep. The Pillow has an important feature, that is the ability to adjust to the body of a woman, repeat its curves and contours. It is due to this that it is possible to provide the most supportive position during sleep and rest. Due to the full support of the spine, it is possible to achieve an even distribution of the load on the muscles. Be sure, the pillow will help you to relax during sleep, to throw away all fears and fears, and, finally, to fully sleep. Models of curved shape provide the maximum possible support and limbs, neck, head.
The Main Varieties
Modern manufacturers offer a huge range of products for pregnant and lactating women. The forms can be different:
- The classical variant – such a pillow is represented in the form of two separate elements sewn together. Moving them, it will be possible to achieve the most supportive posture during the rest. Why is this model so good? It gives the support for the waist and abdomen in the meantime. Pregnant women have to spend practically all their time in the lying position on their sides, so effective support of the abdomen is extremely necessary.
- U-shaped pillow – more often it is rather large in size cushion, helping to support the body of a woman on both sides. All parts of the body, including the back, neck, hips, and head reach a maximally relaxed state. Women note how comfortable it is to sleep with such a pillow: turning over, you do not need to constantly change its form. It is equally comfortable during sitting.
- Wedge-shaped pillow – such a product may be placed under the stomach during sleep or under the back during work.
- Cushion in the form of a horseshoe is a cross-functional option that provides support for all parts of the body of a woman during a dream. For choosing the size of a pillow in this case, it is necessary for taking into account a woman’s growth.
- Pillow in the form of the letter C – a more compact and voluble version, the edges of the pillow are not too twisted inward. It is convenient to take it with you on a long journey, to use at home, putting under your waist or popliteal region.
- Cushion in the form of the letter G – a kind of just out in the market of products for pregnant women. You should the curved shape under the head and neck, and the straight side – around the legs, achieving the good support of the body.
- Pillow-column – outwardly it resembles a roller, the only one that is less dense. This option is appropriate to use to support the tummy. During sleep, it can be used as a regular pillow under the head.
What Should Be Considered While Choosing The Pregnancy Pillow?
There exist several items that should be taken into consideration while choosing a product for pregnant women. These are important factors that will help you to make the right choice. Perhaps these things are obvious and simple, but it is important. There are several items that should be read before buying this comfortable and useful pillow.
The best pillows for pregnant women should be practical, functional and as safe as possible for a woman and a fetus in her womb. That is why the choice of a much-needed accessory must be approached more demanding and carefully. Filled pillows for pregnant women largely determines their quality and ability to perform the assigned functional duties. All materials used can be divided into natural and synthetic (artificial origin). Among the synthetic fillers I want to highlight:
- Syntepon – a material that is democratic in its value, quite often plays the role of filler in pillows. It has no smell, it is hypoallergenic. Pillows of sintepon will withstand a numerous cycle of washings, but here the ability to maintain and maintain the shape is clearly not different.
- Holofiber – the material of the fibrous structure, replacing fluff and feather. Pillows with this filler demonstrate elasticity while remaining soft and pleasant to the touch. Such cushions may be washed in machine wash at 40 degrees, why the choice of many pregnant women falls precisely on them. In addition, the filler does not cause allergies.
- Komforel – one of the varieties of the just mentioned holofiber, which is often used as a filler when it comes to the pillows for pregnant women. It is a soft and pleasant to the touch filler in the form of silicone-nitrated fibers, twisted into small balls with a diameter of 5-7 mm. It is a hypoallergenic, absolutely safe filler, capable for a long time to retain its original shape, not to roll down and not absorb odors. The life of pillows with such a filler is much longer than all known to date analogs. Pillows are comfortable and pleasant to use, do not need special care.
- Artificial swan feathers – quite popular in recent times, filler, represented by thin fibers. According to their characteristics, the fluff of artificial origin is identical to the komforel, but it is milder and light.
- Packing peanuts – this filler will be to the liking of all fans of rustling pillows. You can even say that this is an orthopedic roller for pregnant women, characterized by increased density. It is noteworthy that it is strictly forbidden to wash it, both in a typewriter and manually, but the filler itself must be refilled as necessary. However, you need to remember that if you are susceptible to smells, this option should be discarded, because with the time of using the pillow polystyrene foam will give off a pretty unpleasant smell.
- In this case, pay attention to pillows filled with filler in the form of very small balls (0.5-1 mm) in diameter. They do not smell, they are rather pleasant to the touch, they keep the shape perfectly, but they are quite expensive. The orthopedic effect, in this case, stimulates blood circulation and improves the quality of sleep and rest.
- Silicone is a material with unsurpassed elasticity. Pillows filled with silicone in just a few moments restore their shape, why so often used by pregnant women for sleep.
Types of Fabric
A necessary condition for quality pillows is their multilayeredness. The first layer of fabric, enveloping holofiber or polystyrene, should be sufficiently dense. It fits the inner filler and does not allow it to freely penetrate through the tissue fibers. Most often, satin or coarse calico is used to make the case.
The second layer is a removable pillowcase. This is a durable, pleasant to the touch and in most cases a natural fabric, which you can choose at your own discretion. If you plan to use the pillow during the baby’s feeding, pay attention to how easily the pillowcase is removed and washed, as the baby can inadvertently stain it with its feces or excess milk.
Ease of Use
Safety and convenience are the main criteria of choice. After all, a pillow is needed to relieve the condition and increase the comfort of women during pregnancy. A good pillow is soft enough, able to take the desired form and support the body of a pregnant woman, and then the weight of the baby.
Some pillows can change shape. They continue to serve their mistress after the birth of the baby. Such products are also used for feeding and sleeping with the child. They support the baby, form a roller around his back and prevent the baby from rolling down.
Usually, pillows are designed for the average growth of a future mother. The basic size of the product is 160-170 cm in length. There are small pillows only one meter in length. But they are more often used for feeding than for sleeping. Moms of high growth can choose a pillow of 250-320 cm in length. But do not forget that growth is not all. The pillow should fit on the bed. Therefore, the shape and size should be based on the dimensions of the sleeper.
The Best Pregnancy Pillows – TOP 10 Most-Rated
Compare prices on best maternity pillows in the world
#1 The Best C-shaped Pregnancy Pillow: Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow
C-shaped pillow will help at night, and during the day, and during a short rest.[amazon_link asins=’B0000635WI’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’34c32a40-a16e-11e8-ac7a-b1e91c689aa0′]
The first is recommended for low women, the second – for future mothers, whose growth exceeds 160 cm. The main advantages of the product with this configuration:
- the ability to create a cozy nest around the body;
- can be used for daytime rest;
- gives good comfort for the legs, head, back or abdomen.
Of the shortcomings, attention should be paid to the inability to make a decision to create and return to their disposal. When you sleep, you often change your position, and that is you need to turn the pillow too. This exact product is the first and true original snoogle. This type of pillow commutes a diversity of pillows that help support the hips, back, neck and stomach. Different nurses and mothers have patented this pillow. The cushion is made of a removable cover, made in the style of a fictitious style, which is washed by a machine. You can revel comfort and support without the supplementary body heat.
#2 The Best U-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow: Queen Rose Full Pregnancy Body Pillow
It is also the most popular form; it is the most popular and convenient, but, unfortunately, the most cumbersome. It composes an arch and two supporting elements.[amazon_link asins=’B072NZLT27′ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’da0253dd-a16e-11e8-a18c-7d5d0811ff17′]
That is, it hugs you, and you can roll as often as you want. It will supply comfort for the tummy, it cannot be folded. It is very pleasant to cuddle, and the best peculiarity is that you will understand how much the burden on the spine is reduced. This product is 100% hypoallergenic:
- Premium fill materials: high density and softness, this unique Bionic Polyethylene fills without the smell.
- Pillow of pleasure: allergy, comfort, and support are now available with a unique design to follow the natural shape of the pregnant mother and a large pillow of support for motherhood “U” for sleeping and feeding.
- Multifunctional: this maternity pillow creates a position for supporting the abdomen for sleeping, reading, nursing, watching TV and breastfeeding. The full contour of the body of this pillow provides a painless and healthy sleep. A favorite waiting for mothers and people suffering from pain in the back or back, fibromyalgia, sciatica, poor posture, athletes, people in physiotherapy or recovery from trauma, as well as those who want to sleep better.
#3 The Best Wedge-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow: Hiccapop Pregnancy Pillow
This type of pillow for the pregnant woman is an ideal variant.[amazon_link asins=’B01KG84CLI’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’ef5353d2-a16e-11e8-9ea4-8dd7358c10bf’]
- Soft or firm you decide: 2-sided design usually suits mothers during the period of 3 trimesters. Soft, deluxe, memory foam on one side, and firmer support foam on the second side . As your needs and desires very often shift from one time to another, simply shift it over to take again maximum comfort.
- Proper abdominal support reduces swelling (swelling) in the arms, legs relieving back tension and associated stress. Place under your belly, behind your back or between your knees to help you feel more comfortable relaxing or sleeping. Universal stomach wedge, back cushion or knee pad. Helps relieve nerve pain and numbness of the feet, too.
- Features a plush corduroy coating that is super soft yet durable and washable. We know it’s a long way to go in the 3rd trimester, so we pulled all the stops and found the best stuff. You just won’t believe how soft and comfortable the cover is.
- Airflow ventilation technology: our perforated foam layer helps to keep the pillow cooler, making it more comfortable during sleep.
- Compact and portable for travel and includes its own carrying bag: from the bedroom to the sofa to your favorite NAP chair, the hiccapop wedge-shaped pillow makes travel easier. More comfortable than large body pads that are bulky and hot.
#4 The Best Oblong-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow: Boppy Side Sleeper Pregnancy Pillow[amazon_link asins=’B01N3Y3848′ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’c920ed2e-a16f-11e8-ac83-ef768597b0b9′]
This pillow gives the pregnant woman excellent support for the back and the baby. Women enjoy stability and comfort.
The stretch panel keeps the cushions in place when your punch grows. The compact design allows you to comfortably sleep.
A universal little supporter helps you to have time during sleep, but also during rest or sitting. Comfort, which lasts from pregnancy through postpartum recovery.
Filled with 100% fiber, provides durability and reliable support. Machine wash cushions and ultra-soft removable covers for easy maintenance.
#5 The Best Contoured Pregnancy Pillow: Leachco Back N Belly Contoured Pregnancy Pillow
For future mothers who love pillows softer, we offer a combination of pillows for pregnant women. At the same time, the “legs” of the pillow are filled with elastic “Holloiber”, which provides support for the legs of the back and abdomen, and the “head” of the pillow is filled with an artificial swan, which gives comfort and softness to the pillow under the head.[amazon_link asins=’B0002E7DIQ’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’00e38575-a170-11e8-98fb-d703db8681cd’]
Leachco Back N Belly Contoured Pregnancy Pillow is a unique anatomical pillow that adapts to the contours of the future mother’s body, supporting the simultaneously growing abdomen, back, and legs.
Supporting the spine during sleep allows you to relax the waist muscles, which should work with a doubled load, and after a few days you will feel relief, the pulling pains will decrease or disappear completely. In the meantime with back support, the pregnant woman’s pillow supports your stomach during sleep, relieves tension from the muscles, and your baby will feel fine and sleep all night without waking up. Supporting the legs during sleep will save you from unpleasant pains and cramps, legs will decrease. After the birth of the baby, the pillow is good for you. This will ease the tension of the arms and back muscles; you can relax and enjoy the connection with the baby. When the child learns to sit, the pillow will hold back.
#6 The Best Down-Filled Pregnancy Pillow: Moonlight Slumber Comfort[amazon_link asins=’B013RV0JGI’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’2904803b-a170-11e8-b88c-c74241b30da1′]
- Because of this pillow, you can sleep all night. Finally, get the rest that you need, with a pillow to support the body of Moonlight Slumber Comfort-U. Comfort-U helps to straighten the hips, neck, shoulders and back, helping to regulate body temperature and improving blood circulation for a deep, restful sleep.
- Premium synthetic. Come up to everyone in comfort with Comfort-U. Made of high-quality synthetic material, it is hypoallergenic, odorless and offers relief from dust mites with a machine-washable structure Fusion fiber-fill. The synthetic down stuffing is a revolutionary material known to scientists as an “extended polymer”, which allows air to freely flow through the material while upholding its shape.
- Cleans fastly. Simply throw this pillow into a standard washing machine and dryer for an easy to clean, hassle-free body pillow. It will never clump, even after repeated washing, so you can look forward to long lasting clean comfort.
Made in the USA. Moonlight Slumber provides the most reliable quality materials, so you can be sure that the superiority that you expect is delivered. Moonlight Slumber Comfort-U Total Body Support Pillow will provide you with the support you need.
#7 The Best Lightweight Pregnancy Pillow: Meiz U Shaped Total Body Support Pillow[amazon_link asins=’B01M24BEJJ’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’3fc27e12-a170-11e8-89a7-c75c0da4c6b7′]
This product is one of the best for women. It’s made of cotton. It consists of high-quality filler. High quality and ultra soft, this unique bionic-Polyethylene odorless packaging provides comfort for sleep and keeps fluffy for better performance and longer use. This pillow for pregnant women is designed to follow the natural curved shape of your body, no matter how you would like to sleep.
Our U-shaped body pillow was created for pregnant mothers, but is comfortable for everyone! It creates a position to support the abdomen for sleeping, reading, nursing, watching TV and breastfeeding. The full contour of this pillow provides a painless and healthy sleep. Such a tablet is ideal for sciatica, which relieves back pain and back pain, prevents liver inhibition, prevents hypertension syndrome, eliminates throw and turn; Also helps to maintain the head, back, stomach, hips, knees, thigh, and legs.
#8 The Best Oversize Pregnancy Pillow: Naomi Home Cozy Body Pillow
This pillow is suitable for those who do not sleep peacefully in one place and likes to toss. This form is good because it does not need to be turned around when you change your posture. With such a pillow it is much easier to take a comfortable pose and fall asleep more quickly. Pregnancy pillow includes a gusseted neck and shoulder area. Perfect nursing pillow keeps baby supported and elevated while mom s back cushioned. Mom`s back and belly are supported by the inner curve.
#9 Cozy Bump Maternity Pillow – Lie on Your Stomach[amazon_link asins=’B01FASX1T8′ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’c98f8ab3-8b8c-11e8-9c11-6790e45aed5e’]
This pillow is the best for stomach sleepers. Even with your tummy growing you can still afford to sleep in your most comfortable position with the best pregnancy pillow for stomach sleepers. This is a huge inflatable pillow with the hole in the center for your growing tummy. You can adjust the amount of air in the pillow for the best comfort. The pillow also has a wide headrest, so you don’t need to use additional pillows to support your head. The central bump is elevated a bit, and it is ideal to relieve any pains in your lower back and decompress the spine. Moreover, the Cozy Bump pregnancy pillow is recommended by chiropractors as the best one for relieving pressure if you have herniated disks or lower back pain.