It is a well-known fact that people spend a third part of their life sleeping. This means that it doesn’t make sense tightening the belt when it comes to the purchase of a quality orthopedic pillow.
Technologies don’t stand still: the variety of shapes and materials are more than able to astonish even the most vivid imagination and give an opportunity to choose the best of the best orthopedic pillow that would suit personal needs and taste.
Table of Contents
- 1 Major Characteristics Of Orthopedic Cushions
- 2 Top Orthopedic Pillows – Price Comparison
- 3 Benefits and Advantages
- 4 Top 10 Picks – Best Orthopedic Pillows
- 4.1 #1 Shredded Memory Foam Pillow From Coop Home Goods
- 4.2 #2 Sleep Innovations Contour Memory Foam Pillow
- 4.3 #3 Arc4Life Cervical Linear Traction Neck Pillow For Neck Pain
- 4.4 #4 Cervical Pillow For Extra-Comfort
- 4.5 #5 Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- 4.6 #6 Sleep Yoga Dual Position Neck Pillow
- 4.7 #7 PharMeDoc Memory Foam Pillow
- 5 Final Thoughts: Summary
Major Characteristics Of Orthopedic Cushions
A pillow is a strictly individual thing. It should be selected depending on physical criteria along with personal preferences as per favorite sleeping positions:
- Height – if a person prefers to sleep on a side, then he/she should opt for a higher cushion compared to those, who like sleeping on a back. As for the broad-shouldered people, they should also consider purchasing high items. The average height is about 10-14 cm.
- Width – under no circumstances should it be wider than a mattress.
- Firmness – side sleepers are recommended to stop their choice at firmer models. Whereas, back sleepers will feel more comfortable using softer models or of a medium firmness.
- Shape – in case you are a stomach sleeper, then without any hesitation go for prolonged pillows without rollers. However, back and side sleepers are advised to buy cushions with rollers.
Note: they do require some time to get used to. The doctors and chiropractics highly-recommend the second option since such models support the neck and back, which automatically means quality sleep without pain and waking up because of discomfort.
Types of Orthopedic Pillows
Indeed, it is always a matter of personal choice which cushions to opt for: a usual orthopedic one. Nonetheless, we do really believe that it is better to not risk with health! It is common knowledge that proper sleep is a guarantee of well-being for the whole body. Orthopedic pillows are designed and produced in a way to provide comfortable head position during sleep along with the right spine alignment.
Therefore, when searching for a cushion, it is important to know that a good model would always support the head and spine. It also helps the upper part of a body be relaxed, releasing the muscles tension. Don’t forget to pay attention to the shoulders width, favorite sleeping position, softness of a mattress, material the pillow is made of, and of course, a price.
Now, let’s have a look at all these details more precisely. In order to understand how to select the height of an item, one should know the aspects of a choice. For instance, whether a person is a side/ back/ stomach sleeper, the firmness of a mattress as well as the person’s condition after waking up. The rule is the following: the wider the shoulders are, the higher cushion one needs for comfortable night sleep. In case, you are a back sleeper, look for lower models. A model of medium firmness and average height would be ideal for side sleepers.
If a mattress is soft, then the device should be lower compared to sleep on a firmer surface. If a person prefers to sleep mainly on a stomach, then he/she should look for soft low models.
Materials: Down, Feather, Latex, Memory Foam
The selection of medical pillows considerably depends on filler because of firmness, durability, warranty, hypoallergenic and mite-resistant features, etc. Cushions that are manufactured from feathers or down can cause allergic reactions. Synthetical ones are already better, but still can be a reason an allergy in individual cases. Therefore, the best choice had always been, is and will be- contour orthopedic pillows with a little condensation under the neck, which ensures maximum relaxation of muscles and cozy sleep.
Such cushions are made on a base of natural materials that adjust to a person’s individual shapes, factored in certain anatomic characteristics. When you lie on such an item, you keep the right spine alignment. Thanks to this, neck vessels are not tightened, and the head blood circulation is the best possible. This means that upon waking up, you will have a nice face colour without bags under eyes.
Nowadays, the market is full of multiple modifications of such pillows. One of the best is considered to be the ones with the memory foam effect. They react to temperature and pressure, thus adjusting to the body. If you decide to change the position, then it will restore its shape within 2-3 seconds. By feel, it doesn’t “push away”, but slowly adjusts to a person’s needs. There are memory foam orthopedic back pillows, orthopedic neck pillows, etc. Hence, they can be of different firmness, from soft to super firm, depending on a situation. Furthermore, they are produced based on synthetical foams (polyurethane) as well as a mixture of latex and memory-foam with synthetical materials predominantly. It is also significant to know that such devices cannot be machine-washed! Water destroys the pillow’s structure, and the memory effect is lost. Consequently, to wash such products, they should be just aired out 2-3 times a year and the cover can be washed in a machine.
In actual fact, manufacturers never produce an orthopedic cushion of genuine latex, as they will be too firm and too heavy. Latex is churned, adding a few other materials, turning them into premium-class products. They are very soft, elastic, and plushy!
Nonetheless, it should be mentioned that even the most orthopedic cushion can be uncomfortable. In these terms, everything is individual, the same as if buying shoes, clothes, etc. The product that is ideal for one person can be absolutely unsuitable for another. A cushion should be comfortable as per height, shape and other aspects. To put it simply, apart from orthopedically correct features, you should also feel comfortable sleeping on it!
Orthopedic cushion made of latex, completely relax the spine and reduce muscles tension. Due to anti-bacterial features, there are no chances for harmful micro-organisms to appear, which minimizes the risks of allergic and breathing diseases or difficulties. Genuine latex can boast of perfect wearing-quality, doesn’t break under the influence of moisture, and keeps its shape for over 10 years of usage. The absence of negative side-effects makes such pillows outstanding companions of healthy sleep. This is really an excellent investment in the future.
What Do Customers and Doctors Say?
As a rule, people, who have purchased therapeutic pillows are very satisfied and claim that it is impossible to fall asleep on usual cushions, having experienced such a pleasure. A sleeping process becomes more comfortable and strong, and headaches are reduced or completely gone.
As for the doctors, who monitor patients, who use such pillows, note that it is one of the best prophylactic treatments for spine issues.
The fee for such products can vary from one manufacturer to another one. However, always keep in mind that a high-quality cushion will not be cheap. So, if you see a low price, most probably, the orthopedic features will be low or absent at all!
Meanwhile, the optimum alternative would be items of an average and high price. Depending on a budget, you can make a final choice. This is a stable option that is affordable to the majority of people.
The cushions of a premium-quality differ thanks to the latest and most updated technologies. Buying such an item from the manufacturer, one can always count on superior characteristics, quality and warranty!
How To Look After Orthopedic Pillows?
- If you have bought a memory foam product, DO NOT wash it, otherwise, the effect will disappear.
- Such a pillow should be aired out every 3-4 months.
- DO NOT shake out or punch a cushion because it can cause deformations.
- Always read the instruction a product comes with if something remains to be unclear.
Where To Buy An Orthopedic Pillow?
Such devices can be easily bought in specialized stores that sell goods for health and comfort, or in a mall with relevant departments. Another option is to find and choose a cushion in various online stores. Nonetheless, as the practice shows, the most convenient way is to come to a shop, look, touch, test and finally, buy a pillow. In the case of online sites, if you have bought a product and are not satisfied with its features upon arrival, you can always send it back and be sure of the money back guarantee.
Products of this category can considerably influence on well-being in a positive way. That’s why don’t put off the purchase in the following situations:
- If you wake up with shoulders and neck pain. Most probably the cushion is not high enough, and a mattress is too firm. The best solution here would be a memory foam model.
- If you have to put a hand under the head to feel comfortable during sleep and the morning doesn’t bring a feeling of relaxation and rest, then it is time to change traditional pillows for orthopedic ones.
The first few days after the purchase, you might feel a bit weird sleeping on it (your spine and muscles get used to it too). After these few days, muscles will get used to taking the right position, and a person falls asleep quickly, doesn’t wake up multiple times during the night and has refreshed, energized and well-rested mornings.
One can argue about the necessity of purchasing such a cushion, its price and characteristics for a long time. Yet, when you finally get one of them, you will definitely appreciate all its advantages!
Top Orthopedic Pillows – Price Comparison
Benefits and Advantages
- No more muscle cramps around the shoulders, back, and especially the neck.
- Correct blood circulation literally everywhere: neck, brain, body, veins, nerves, spine, etc.
- Forget about discomfort with a correctly chosen pillow.
- No more constant waking ups in the middle of the night because of discomfort.
- Much better sleeping ability due to coziness and adjustment.
- Cradling of the neck.
- Automatic adjustment to the shapes of a body thanks to top-notch materials.
- Promotion of proper spine alignment.
- The cushions are designed to contour to your head and neck, thus ensuring 100% support through the night.
- These pillows can be used not only when sleeping but also relaxing, watching TV, reading a book, etc.
- The release of tension and stress.
- Special chiropractic pillows are the best when having neck pain or injuries in the vertebrae.
- Huge variety of sizes and shapes that are great for stomach, back, and side sleepers.
Top 10 Picks – Best Orthopedic Pillows
#1 Shredded Memory Foam Pillow From Coop Home Goods[amazon_link asins=’B00EINBSEW’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’d677a811-9cc0-11e8-b4c3-1bc174e2c9c4′]
This particular orthopedic pillow for neck pain is currently one of the best buys on the market. It is produced by the Coop Home Goods that is considered to be a great manufacturer in the world of pillows. The beneficial features of this item are simply unlimited. It cradles a head and neck as well as supports the whole body, adjusting to it within seconds. With this model, one can take any favorite position on a side, back or stomach and feel comfortable. But what is most important, is that you can forget about neck pain forever! Sleeping on it, you will never get hot, as it features a special airflow that keeps you cool through the night. Additionally, a bamboo cover that is extremely pleasant to the skin only increases the coolness. So, you can forget about getting sweaty. If you are in search of a cushion that would minimize neck pain, then don’t lose this opportunity.
- Hypoallergenic feature.
- Plushness and breathability.
- Cooling properties.
- Machine washable.
- Comes in three sizes: standard, queen, and king.
- Money back guarantee.
- Made in the US.
- Fully adjustable.
- 5- year warranty.
- Reasonable cost.
#2 Sleep Innovations Contour Memory Foam Pillow[amazon_link asins=’B0029LHHRC’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’d5f2cdba-9e33-11e8-b83b-37ff2fc1deed’]
Using a pillow from this company is a real dream. It is the leading manufacturer on the market due to high-quality products, long warranties, durability, and top-notch materials. This memory foam product solves all neck pain issues since it has a unique design that cradles the head and neck at the same time, ensuring super comfort in any sleeping position. It also has a recessed center, which is super great for a side, back, and stomach sleepers. It can be used not only for sleeping and resting purposes but also for traveling one, as it has a travel size. Memory foam guarantees that the pillow will not flatten and not lose its shape even after years of usage. Also, its cover is made of velour fabric that keeps the surface cool and will never cause any itching or scratching. It can be easily removed and washed in a machine. All in all, this product from the Sleep Innovations will 100% exceed all expectations, providing peaceful night sleep.
- No more morning neck pain.
- 3 available sizes: standards, travel, queen.
- Elimination of insomnia and snoring.
- Made in the US.
- Provides comfort and whole body support.
- 5-year warranty.
- Satisfaction guarantee.
- Affordable price.
- High rating and thousands of positive feedbacks.
- Some people note that cushions bought from the same place can vary. So, if you are not satisfied with the delivered item, you can always send it back and get a refund or get a new one.
#3 Arc4Life Cervical Linear Traction Neck Pillow For Neck Pain[amazon_link asins=’B0002RO3JU’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’fb77e7f6-9e33-11e8-8445-c5d23e22e87d’]
If you have been trying hard to find a pillow that would solve neck pain issues, then look no further! This model from the Arc4Life was designed especially for this purpose. It will solve problems with headaches, limb pain, and even numbness. It is perfect for all kinds of sleepers, be it a stomach, back or side. Moreover, it can be used not only by adults but also by teenagers and younger kids. It will help literally everyone to get rid of pain and fall asleep quickly. Due to an exceptional shape a product has, it promotes proper spine alignment, which means correct breathing, blood circulation, and healthier sleep. A special air flow feature is aimed at keeping you cool through the night. The cushion can be maneuvered in any comfortable for you way, as per the firmness, thickness and other aspects. This orthopedic neck pillow is obviously recommended for purchasing!
- Refreshed and well-rested mornings without neck pain and muscles tension.
- Elimination of snoring.
- Better blood circulation and breathing.
- Multiple sleeping positions.
- The spine is aligned in a natural way.
- Superior comfort and coziness.
- Used by chiropractics across the globe.
- Top-notch polyester.
- Price is more than average.
#4 Cervical Pillow For Extra-Comfort[amazon_link asins=’B06XY7PTWG’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’2cc5ab19-9e34-11e8-bbcb-bfb3717329f5′]
You are looking for a cushion that would provide quality sleep? Then this item can be the one you need. It was designed to support the neck and head, thus providing perfect spine alignment. It minimizes and in some cases completely eliminates headaches, neck pain, muscle tension, arthritis, etc. It is made of memory foam, which means the product will easily adjust to the individual shapes of a body within 2-3 seconds. It is an ideal orthopedic pillow for side and back sleepers. This particular model has lots of positive feedbacks and reviews from the users as well as high rating. People love it thanks to its quality materials, easiness of taking care, minimization of neck pain, spasms and stiffness. In simple words, it is super effective for those, who are looking for all these and much more benefits. 100% worth buying, especially considering its affordability.
- Comfortable night sleep during the whole night without waking up.
- Perfect for back and side sleepers.
- 2 months unconditional guarantee from the manufacturer.
- Relieves pressure, stress, and tension.
- Materials of premium quality.
- Contoured design for spinal alignment.
- Affordable cost.
- According to some users, the item is too firm.
#5 Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow[amazon_link asins=’B072HFY7WZ’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’3e76f026-9e34-11e8-b6c3-e562cac6965b’]
This exceptional device from one of the most famous brands is in great demand all over the world. Here are the grounds why: first of all, it consists of 2 kinds of memory foams, which makes it resilient and supportive. It can be used all year round, as it is breathable and has a special micro-vented cover. People, who have a tendency to sweat, can forget about it. Instead, you will always feel cool and cozy. The manufacturer provides a 20-year warranty. Where else have you seen such guarantees of quality and confidence? Additionally, customers get 3 trial months, after which they can return the product if not satisfied. Finally, you can be sure, it will never go flat, even after many years of usage! Highly-recommended for buying!
- Made in the US.
- Keeps cool all night long.
- Machine washable.
- Supports the neck, head, tummy, and back.
- Mite resistant and hypoallergenic.
- Reasonable fee.
- 3 available sizes.
- 4.5 stars out of 5.
- Suitable for a side, stomach, back, and pregnant sleepers.
- Adjustment to any desirable thickness and consequently, comfort.
- All materials are breathable.
- Bamboo cover with a zip for easy care;
- Adjustment to the user’s personal needs.
- When taking the product out of a package, it might have a weird smell for a couple of hours.
#6 Sleep Yoga Dual Position Neck Pillow[amazon_link asins=’B015WQRWG6′ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’4a1db936-9e34-11e8-a82d-97e5d9f03da9′]
This particular model is aimed at improving posture as well as breathing. It has a unique ergonomic design that lets a user move easily from side to side, from side to back, etc. With this cushion, one can take any comfortable position and “dive” into the world of sweet dreams. Due to the premium quality materials, it is made of it easily contours to the shapes of a body, ensuring spine and neck support. There are 2 similar items but with different levels of firmness: from soft to medium. It is also hypoallergenic and mite resistant, which is good for people, who suffer from some allergies. It can be washed in a machine, so not much care is required. It comes at a reasonable price and is highly rated. Also, a customer can choose either a standard or queen size, depending on personal needs and preferences. To put it simply, it is a product that prevents stiffness and pain. And instead, it guarantees rested and refreshed mornings.
- Improvement of posture.
- One of the best chiropractic pillows, designed by a doctor.
- Variety of firmness levels.
- Availability of sizes.
- Resistant to wrinkles.
- Doesn’t flatten with the time.
- Made of lyocell and cotton.
- The pillow is innovative, fresh, and comfortable.
- Requires replacement a little bit sooner than a warrant states.
#7 PharMeDoc Memory Foam Pillow[amazon_link asins=’B071WKSSY5′ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’pregilycom-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’66ee6e87-9e34-11e8-bcbe-4b7163c90ed5′]
Looking for a cushion that would be able to regulate the temperature through the night? Well, then this product is what you need. Due to its cooling gel technology, you can forget about discomfort, turning from one side to another one, tossing, etc. It comes at a very reasonable cost, yet it doesn’t mean its poor quality or lack of beneficial features. On the contrary, like the rest of the abovementioned models, this one can boast of multiple advantages. To start with, it is made of memory foam with a cooling gel that is one of the best materials for a cushion to be produced from. Second of all, it is a contour pillow, meaning that it adjusts to the shapes of your body, reducing pressure on the neck, shoulders, and back. Third, it has an easily removable cover that can be washed in a machine- not much care is required. Furthermore, it is hypoallergenic which is significant for people who suffer from allergies. The manufacturer guarantees 100% satisfaction and which is more important, a lifetime warranty. What can be better than that? But there are still several more pros to add:
- No more tossing, turning and snoring.
- No more waking up due to overheating.
- No more pain, stiffness, and numbness.
- High level of coziness, comfort, healthier life, and deeper sleep.
- Machine-washable cover.
- High rating+ multiple positive feedbacks.
- Some users find the chemical smell of a new pillow unpleasant. Nonetheless, it disappears within just a couple of hours.
Final Thoughts: Summary
The modern industry of the bedding offers customers a wide range of medical pillows, varying in fillers, shapes, and sizes. Therefore, nowadays, a pillow – is a must-have accessory in every bed. Currently, the market is full of them with some being suitable for both sleeping and resting. Sleeping on an orthopedic cushion is not just pleasant and comfortable, but also healthy.
The main advantage of such products is the possibility to reduce the tension on a spine and improve blood circulation. Such features are especially useful for those, who suffer from headaches, osteochondrosis and those, who lead a sedentary lifestyle. The device supports the spine in the right position, which is a guarantee of proper deeper sleep and rested waking ups. They also promote treatment of different injuries as well as release muscles tension.
Very often, items of this category have a prolonged roller that should be selected individually, depending on the width of shoulders. This particular roller helps to support the head and cervical vertebrae in a natural position when sleeping. Neck muscles will be relaxed, and breathing will be proper.
All the abovementioned benefits of orthopedic or the so-called chiropractic pillows create comfortable conditions for your healthy sleep, ensuring right anatomical spine alignment. Sleeping on such a pillow means energized mornings in a super good mood without any aches or pain. All the above-mentioned orthopedic pillows obtain all these benefits, therefore are in the list of the most top-rated picks!